CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, August 15, 2008

Death to Hackers!

The Cheese's computer was infected by a virus. I've cleaned up enough of the mess that it's usable again, but the source of the infection is still in there. I'm waiting for this software to finish scanning all the places on my computer that its tentacles could be reaching. So far this has taken three hours. I wasn't able to use the computer at all yesterday. The biggest places that these malware programs masquerading as "Anti Spyware" programs are found is gaming sites and porn sites. I do affiliate work with both. I know better than to download any videos or files from non-trusted sites, but thought that I was being asked to download a legitimate software plug, such as comes from Microsoft or Adobe or such. Instead I end up with something called AntiSpyCheck invading my computer. It caused all sorts of problems and I spent most of yesterday looking for a solution. I was stupid. Paranoia when using the computer is far from unwarranted! What these "software companies" who make these products do should be illegal. They are no better than playground bullies extorting other kids for milk money. Do not spend one dime on AntiSpyCheck. It is malware, pure and simple. A legitimate program would never install itself without permission.
I am evaluating AVG Anti-Virus and Spy Hunter. I wish they'd finish scanning already!

3 comments:

The Lazy Iguana said...

Somehow the computer my parents use got that AntiSpyCheck shit on it.

I figured the program itself was the problem when it would not allow me to close all the windows. It would also not allow me to shut the program down.

Legit programs allow you to shut the program down if you want to.

Anyhow the solution I arrived at as to do a system restore.

Start - all programs - accessories - system tools - system restore.

I picked a day I was reasonably sure was before the program was installed. Two days before the problem.

It worked. Computer still works OK. I guess.

Anonymous said...

Go for "Spybot - Search and destroy". Kills all and immunizizes your machine. I told you.

Anonymous said...

Eek. I'm happy to say I understand none of this, and I hope I don't ever have to.