CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Busy

I've been really busy. Sorry to have been antisocial. Taking a brief break from the latest science fiasco, I discovered this article.
And here was my response:

As someone who has worked in elder care for a cumulative of almost 9 years, at the heart of the depression that someone in my position might face is the low wages that most companies pay and the fact that nurse aides are treated like dogs by most nursing homes. We are looked down on by many of the nurses as being uneducated and of low intelligence. We are talked down to. The work is physically demanding and many nursing homes are understaffed so it is often very difficult to get a fellow employee to assist you if you should need it. This not only compromises patient care but naturally contributes to the depression that seems to come hand in hand with these kinds of jobs. I ruined my back doing this sort of work. Fortunately I found a decent retirement community to work at and was able to get away from working in long term care. I now work as the overnight emergency care person for the independent residents in this community. I am also valued more by my supervisor and my pay is better.

Nursing assistants are incredibly important and also incredibly devalued by most of society including their more schooled co-workers (nurses) and the administrators. What is wrong with this picture?

Speaking of backs, my friend Dave just had some sort of less invasive back surgery (no fusing with metal rods or cutting away of bone structure) involving lazers. Hopefully it helps with the three herniated disks in his back--yow! I haven't been able to pay for chiropractic treatment in over a month myself. I just requested payout from one of the paid to read advertising companies I've been working with. It could take up to 3 months. I've looked them up and they seem to be one of the legit ones. Don't know why the payout has to take so long, but if I actually get it, I won't complain!

0 comments: