CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, October 29, 2007

Stupid Puritanical Laws go too far

Stupidity reared it's ugly head and shone a glaring spotlight on it in this case. A young man was sent to jail for three years for having consensual oral sex when he was 17 years old. His partner was 15.
I don't advocate teenagers having sex, which may sound hypocritical considering that I did at that age. But while I think that having sex that young is erroneous, I certainly don't think that consensual sex between teenagers should end up with some poor kid doing three years in jail. This should be a matter to be discussed between the teenagers and their parents, and if the parents are complete knuckleheads, then perhaps between the teenagers and a health professional.
In a society that accepts in-your-face sexuality in entertainment and in advertising, the hypocrisy in this case is glaring. There's no way this kid should have done three years in jail unless he forced oral sex on the other person, which apparently he did not.
My son is seventeen and we've talked about the consequences of having sex too young. We've talked about STD's and unwanted pregnancy. He's too busy to even have a girlfriend at this point but aside from that, he has sensible attitudes about sex and I'm proud to say is respectful of females. I've always been logical enough to realize, however, that teenagers have raging hormones and even the smart ones occasionally do something stupid. If my son had been one of these, sure, I would have been disappointed, but I would never have thought that he or his partner were "bad." And I certainly wouldn't have wanted to see either of them put in jail for their actions.
The fact that a throwback law like this one was ever enforced is sickening. How about if we concentrate on catching rapists and child molesters and instead of punishing teenagers for having sex we educate them. And perhaps treat them like human beings instead of criminals. This was not a criminal act, it was a bad judgment call. I'm really sad for this kid. And really sickened by our justice system for the injustice meted on him.

5 comments:

Tom & Icy said...

It seems strange that there are a lot of laws that are broken by thousands of people and are ignored by police and prosecutors except for one or two individuals that they seem to be "after" for some personal reason or to get publicity, or what they call "to make an example."

The Lazy Iguana said...

There is one thing that is being overlooked. This statement from the dude's lawyer.

“It’s ludicrous,” Wilson’s lawyer B.J. Bernstein said. “In order to look tough on crime they (lawmakers) are criminalizing teen sex.”

Did you catch that? His lawyer is named "B.J. Bernstein". This whole thing started over oral sex.

It works on so many levels. When reality is this good - who needs fiction?

The kid should never have gone to jail. This whole case reeks of bullshit. The stench of cow manure hovers over the State of Georgia.

I heard somewhere, but I can not confirm it, that the girl in question is white. The kid locked up is black as the ace of spades. Darker than OJ.

And this was the reason for the prosecution. The girl's parents pushed for it.

Now I do not know if this is true, but it would explain a lot of things.

Anonymous said...

yeah, if they would stop wasting our jail space on things like that we wouldnt have to pay to build more jails. The judicial system is downright idiotic at times

Anonymous said...

I don't know about the white thing. I believe I saw a bit of the videotape (bits blocked out, of course) on the news, and I think she was black. Regardless, if this had been white on white, I don't think a GA prosecutor would have gone after the boy so hard.
Thought you might be interested to know that this case has caused a "Romeo and Juliet" law to be pushed through the GA legislature, so that teen sex can no longer be prosecuted this way, but it was not retroactive and so would not have affected the young man in this case.

Raine said...

I was gonna type something but that dog keeps winking at me and now I have forgotten what it was