CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Sexist Coffee Shops?

This article in Slate proposes that coffee shops discriminate against women. I'm not sure what coffee shops they mean, but I sure as hell wouldn't go back there! Once every two weeks I get a bagel omelet sandwich and a latte as a treat for myself at Einstein Brothers Bagels. I don't think such a thing could happen here because the orders are processed as they come in. Granted, if someone orders a plain coffee and a bagel with cream cheese, their order will be done before the person just ahead of them who ordered an omelet sandwich and a specialty latte. But they are processed in the order received and everyone is treated with courtesy.
The article says that "men receive their coffee on average 20 seconds before women." I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure I never counted the seconds as to how long it took the nearest males to me to receive their coffee as opposed to how long it took me, and in all honesty, I think I would miss out on that 20 second factor. I'm not saying that discrimination doesn't exist, but if this 20 second gap was the deciding factor, how the hell would you be able to tell?
I'm just wondering if this study wasn't done by the same people that argue that Scar in the Lion King is a character created as a stereotype slap in the face to gays, that Harry Potter is sending our kids to hell, and that Tinky Winky from the Teletubbies is turning them all into fruits. Although having seen the horror of the Teletubbies once I could be easily swayed into believing that I should protect young children from the horrific little perverts.
The point being that some people have way too much time on their hands and they really ought to donate some of it to me. If that can't be done, then they can donate money instead!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, someone had too much time to make this "study".
Teletubbies are horror: I was visiting a friend in Hungary some years ago and his children were literally addicted to this cruel "things" - it was part of the going-to-sleep-ritual to see "Teletubbies". These creatures scared me, made me shiver, with their sing-sang and behavior, text in high-pitch hungarian, awful.
Asked the parents about it and they simply resigned, they had given up: An evening without Teletubby-horror was worse, hell on earth with two children (do not remember, 3-4 and 5-6) going mad for Teletubby: Having had that exactly one time you happily hammer the video in the slot or put on the TV just to tranquilize the brats - Teletubbies are creatures from hell!

Tom & Icy said...

Nervous Norvis does some neurotic things in his coffee shop, and this study was just one of his silly ideas. I wouldn't be surprised if he went to the Happy Wiener with a tape measure.