I'm doing all right mood-wise. A wise person suggested that it sounds like a major part of my son's problem may simply be being a night owl in a world that caters to larks. His sleep patterns are much like mine would be if I were able to let them go on their own. Poor guy--it ain't easy.
Also there are the stresses of keeping his grades up in a school that while very caring and devoted to their students has a rigorous academic program. He does a great job--gets all A's and B's. He's something of a perfectionist and I think that the struggle he's having with physics bothers him. He was also very stressed out about the ACT. He doesn't even want to take the SAT because he hated the ACT so much. And of course there are concerns about college. I almost wish he could have another year at this school to kind of take it easy and just plan. He didn't get into this school until last year and it's been the best thing in the world for him.
At this point I'm concerned about my father. He had a stroke 3 years ago. Not only is he partially paralyzed on his right side, his inability to exercise or walk very far has contributed to his circulation in the lower body becoming impaired. Combine that with some atrial fibrillation and edema builds up in the legs. He has a bad wound on the right leg that just won't heal. This is the kind of thing that happens to diabetics because of their poor circulation. He's 71 but looks much older. My mother is angry because over the years he was too stubborn to take care of a lot of health needs and now she has to take care of everything for him. Fortunately at least he can still go to the bathroom and take care of business himself. That at least is a relief. His back and legs were bad before he had the stroke. He didn't want to get an MRI because of being stuck in that little tube and I don't blame him. They didn't tell him that he could be sedated, which is the only way you could get me into one of those things. I'm claustrophobic as hell.
My father also had to have this heinous procedure done to test whether the urologist thinks they can do a particular procedure to reduce the excess prostate tissue. I asked if the urologist was still alive. I won't go into details--it was barbaric.
I go to the doc once a year and get the general tests done as well as the test for my thyroid. Other than that I don't go unless I feel like I'm dying. But my mother was definitely right about my father being stubborn. He's really not in very good condition and his mental outlook is pretty bad. He's never accepted what happened and is very angry. I can understand, but in many ways he's also unrealistic. He thinks that if he hadn't had the stroke he'd magically have the health he did when he was 20. He's writing a book. I enjoy reading it but a lot of it seems to be a personal wish to go back in time. I may write more about this at some other point.
Thanks to everyone who expressed support when I was on the down-low. It is appreciated.
Also there are the stresses of keeping his grades up in a school that while very caring and devoted to their students has a rigorous academic program. He does a great job--gets all A's and B's. He's something of a perfectionist and I think that the struggle he's having with physics bothers him. He was also very stressed out about the ACT. He doesn't even want to take the SAT because he hated the ACT so much. And of course there are concerns about college. I almost wish he could have another year at this school to kind of take it easy and just plan. He didn't get into this school until last year and it's been the best thing in the world for him.
At this point I'm concerned about my father. He had a stroke 3 years ago. Not only is he partially paralyzed on his right side, his inability to exercise or walk very far has contributed to his circulation in the lower body becoming impaired. Combine that with some atrial fibrillation and edema builds up in the legs. He has a bad wound on the right leg that just won't heal. This is the kind of thing that happens to diabetics because of their poor circulation. He's 71 but looks much older. My mother is angry because over the years he was too stubborn to take care of a lot of health needs and now she has to take care of everything for him. Fortunately at least he can still go to the bathroom and take care of business himself. That at least is a relief. His back and legs were bad before he had the stroke. He didn't want to get an MRI because of being stuck in that little tube and I don't blame him. They didn't tell him that he could be sedated, which is the only way you could get me into one of those things. I'm claustrophobic as hell.
My father also had to have this heinous procedure done to test whether the urologist thinks they can do a particular procedure to reduce the excess prostate tissue. I asked if the urologist was still alive. I won't go into details--it was barbaric.
I go to the doc once a year and get the general tests done as well as the test for my thyroid. Other than that I don't go unless I feel like I'm dying. But my mother was definitely right about my father being stubborn. He's really not in very good condition and his mental outlook is pretty bad. He's never accepted what happened and is very angry. I can understand, but in many ways he's also unrealistic. He thinks that if he hadn't had the stroke he'd magically have the health he did when he was 20. He's writing a book. I enjoy reading it but a lot of it seems to be a personal wish to go back in time. I may write more about this at some other point.
Thanks to everyone who expressed support when I was on the down-low. It is appreciated.


















0 comments:
Post a Comment